Beware, a lot of information in coming!
Although we are doing a Virtual Test, it is still a test. So uniforms and belts are required for those that have them. It being June however, Bulsajo shirts or plain t-shirts are acceptable as dobok/uniform tops. Students will still need to be on there best behavior in class as well as putting forth as much focus and effort as they can.
Only students who have been participating in Virtual Class can participate in the Virtual Test.
Our testing schedule for June testing is as follows:
- Week 1. Physical qualifiers and parents permission.
- Week 2. Technical qualifiers and general practice.
- Week 3. Terminology & Knowledge Testing. General practice.
- Week 4. General practice. Testing June 24th, 25th, and 26th.
- Week 5. Testing June 29th, 30th and July 1st. Breaking and possibly belts!
This week is all about Physical Qualifiers and younger students getting their parents permission to test. Parents please remember to email me at BulsajoTKD@gmail.com or message me on Facebook through our BulsajoTKD page to confirm that your children do, or do not have permission to test. Please include your child’s current rank/belt level and what size belt they are using.
Next week will be Technical Qualifying. Instead of students sending me videos for permission to test, they will be sending me videos for the actual test. It makes more sense this way and parents won’t have to send me multiple videos more then once. To make gauging the students abilities and readiness for testing easier, I will need a little help.
- Webcams should be placed in such a way that I can see more of the student and so they don’t go off screen. This might take a little work ahead of time, but it is worth it.
- If possible, parents/siblings can be there to control the camera and move along with the student while they are demonstrating. This is easiest for phones and tablets.
- Another option is to set up a private meeting times with me to see the student’s poomsae (if that subject applies to them), self-defense, and breaking. These meetings won’t take more then 15 minutes.
- As a general note: please make sure the training/class environment is safe. No obstructions etc. Students who are wearing socks should make sure they will not slip on the floor. Curious pets should be kept in another room for their safety.
Week 3 will be general practice as well as terminology and knowledge testing. I am working on setting up a Quizlet study guide and test for this. Beginner, intermediate, advanced and Dahn students should each have their own tests to take. This is a tentative thing however as I am still learning the robes etc. Quizlet is a free app/site wear students can use resources like flashcards etc to help them study for tests. It also have the ability to create online tests for students to take. I should have more information on this later. If we do not move forward with the Quizlet site, I will do a very basic terminology and knowledge testing during class on testing days.
Week 4 will have a couple of days for general practice before we start testing. For the actual “in-class” tests, which will be held June 24th through July 1st, the improved training area/webcam set up would be greatly appreciated. During this portion of testing we will cover basics like stretching, stances/footwork, blocks, strikes/punches, kicks and combos.
Week 5 continues our virtual testing.
To test Poomsae (regular, black belt, and creative), as well as Self-defense, videos will need to be made and emailed to BulsajoTKD@gmail.com. You can also send them via a private message to our BulsajoTKD Facebook page, but this is not preferred. Below are details on what is needed for videos:
- Horizontal format. Please do not record video on your phone or tablet while holding it vertically.
- Save the files in any file type except MKV. Preferably not QuickTime either, but I can view/use them.
- Keep the videos to the point and short, this will keep the file sizes down. If using a phone/tablet, make sure you are not filming in 4k. 1920×1080 is perfect, smaller is also fine. If you need help, please let me know.
- Make sure students are in uniform for the videos. Dobok pants, belt, and a Bulsajo TKD shirt/plain t-shirt is fine.
- Lastly, I would like to make a “Highlights’/Congratulations video to put on our main site, YouTube, and Facebook. I will need your permission to do so, please let me either way. If the answer is no, I will only use the video for testing purposes.
Lastly, we need to talk about Sparring and Breaking. To keep things simple and safe, I will not be grading sparring this time around. However, if siblings want to do 3 step sparring in a testing class, I will grade them. As for breaking, I am willing to come to each testing students home so that they can break an actual board. I will wear a mask and make sure to sanitize my hands before holding the board. I would like to recorded the breaking for the testing video as well, so I will need permission for that. If everyone gets all the information I need in time, I can put together a belt order and present the new belt after the student breaks their board… if they pass of course. 🙂
*I will need a home address for this or an address of somewhere we can meet for the students to break their boards.*
July 4th Break.
There will be no classes for July 2nd and 3rd. These days off will be good for all of us to spend some time with friends and family. They will also provide a chance to get to students who still need to break their boards, as well as being able to start work on the testing video. I hope everyone will have a great, safe and happy 4th of July!